4/11/2016

High School Experiences, Unexperienced




Throughout my life I have made some good, bad, and sometimes questionable decisions that have brought me to the point I am at now. I do want to point out that I regret nothing, everything that has happened and the decisions I have made molded me into the person I am today and where I am in life now. But even years after high school happened, I still feel bitter sad about how I missed out on the classic high school experience! I know I should stop dwelling on it, after all I am a grown woman now! But hey, I decided to create a list of just what I do regret missing out on.


1. Prom/Homecoming- But really prom. No one can deny that prom is just something you go to, you may hate it, you may love it, but everyone goes. It's tradition. I however dropped out of high school the moment I turned 16. Even when I was in school, with all the moving around I did, I was never there for homecoming or prom of any sorts. To this day I still think to myself, maybe I should have just stayed in school, if for nothing else, than for prom. K tries to tell me that it wasn't that big of a deal and that I really didn't miss out on much, but hey, every beautiful girl should be taken to a ball, right?


2. Graduation- Since we are on the subject of school, I am going to continue with graduation. I always wanted to walk down the stage in my gown and have my diploma handed to me, to have all my friends and family looking up at me from their seats, thinking about how proud they were of me. This obviously did not happen, but in the grand scheme of things a GED is something to be damn proud of. I don't care what people say, dropping out of school was the best choice for me at the time and a GED is just as good as a diploma. It has never EVER hindered me in my life thus far.


3. Crazy Parties- Now I went to my share of crazy parties, but I feel like I never got to experience the cliche American banger. I've been to parties that I guess you could say are comparable, but it wasn't  the real deal. Either way at the end of the day, they seem pretty lame, but it's the experience that counts right?


4. Monumental field trips- I'm not talking about the ones where you go to your local aquarium or to some historical landmark near by, I am talking about the big ones. Like for example, the school year following one of my moves quite a few years ago, my whole grade went to Chicago. Now I have been to Chicago quite a few times, but it was just the fact that I didn't get to take that obnoxious 7 hour ride in a school bus, I didn't get to bunk with my fav girls, I didn't get to experience that with all the people I had grown up with.


5. Senior prank/nerd day/ any other themed day- In Finland we did not really have themed days where everyone in school dressed up. Nor did I get to participate in America for the senior prank seeing that I wasn't in school and all. I still hear people reminiscing all the time about how funny their senior prank was, or how much fun they had on national skip day.


6. Developing lasting friendships- I still have friends I talk to every once in a blue moon on facebook, but moving back and forth so much, you don't really get the time to truly connect with someone. I have had so many good friends along the years that are just faces on my newsfeed nowadays. I guess you could say that it is partially my fault. I don't reach out anymore than they do, but still it is sad to see how someone I referred to as my best friend, is now living a life I couldn't tell you anything about.




In the grand scheme of things, missing out on these experiences isn't all that big of a deal. It does still make me wonder how my life would be different had I chosen a different path in life, but at the end of the day I can look at K, the dogs, the life I've built and think to myself, damn girl, you really do have it all. So sure I might not have a high school diploma, but I graduated my GED with honors, I  might not still stay in touch with most of my friends I made along the way, but I sure do love the ones that are still in my life today. Sure I didn't get those cliche high school experiences, but I am making new experiences every day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment