11/17/2015

Taking The First Steps To Relaxation

(updated)


Have you ever felt like you woke up one morning and the world decided to crash down on you? Well that has been my last week. I lost someone very dear to me, I found out that I will be moving back to Florida before Christmas, and my anxiety has flared up. Anxiety is something I have had to deal with for the past 5 years. It is something that just started happening and it literally comes and goes with no triggers. Example? Last night I was lying in bed thinking about taking my dog to the vet and him not liking the veterinarian...Tadaa anxiety attack.

I am not one to handle a lot of things happening at once with no plan and no warning. I have noticed myself getting crankier, I have had trouble sleeping, all in all I feel very blah. I cannot stand being so angry and upset all the time, I feel like I am losing who I am in the midst of this situation. Poor K is taking the brunt of it and he deserves none of my bad attitude.





Here are somethings I have begun doing on a daily basis to get me through this (and for anyone who feels like I do, please try this, it really does help!)


1. Take a bath- Granted sometimes the last thing I want to do is take a bath after a long day (odd right?) I just don't want to waste time soaking in a bathtub when I feel like there is so much to do. But regardless I come first, you need to make yourself a priority in situations like this. Fill up that bathtub, pour in some extra bubbles for a luxurious feel, and soak till you look like a raisin. Your muscles will feel relaxed and this really provides some one-on-one time with your thoughts. Who knows, you might even find the answer to your problems in there!


2. Keep busy- Something that works for me to get my mind off things is cleaning. I will clean the house top to bottom whenever I feel upset or anxious and it clears my mind up well. Plus you can take out that anger on your toilet with a scrubber and actually be very proactive! By the time I am done, I look around and feel at ease looking at my spotless home and most of the time I am too pooped to even realize I was worried about something before.


3. Talk it out- For some reason I hate talking about my feelings, I don't know what it is but I just feel like I don't want to burden people with my thoughts and worries. It's times like these that you need to make use of the friends and family that love you, venting will make you feel a lot better. Matter of fact just talking about this on this post makes me feel better about my situation!


4. Fake it till you make it- After I lost my loved one, I gave myself one full day to grieve. I decided to myself that the next morning, I would get up and face the day with a brave smile. What happened? The next day I got up, put on some clothes and pulled myself together. I found things to be happy about, I smiled and tried to laugh throughout the day, I exercised and I kept busy, eventually I did really start to feel less sad. I had to remind myself that life goes on and that there is hope for happiness even after you lose someone you care about. 


5. Take a you day- Last but not least take a day for laziness. Stay in your pj's because you want to, binge on netflix like it's no ones business, light up some candles, convince your significant other to give you a massage, hell, get yourself some sweets and engorge!


No comments:

Post a Comment